Friday, April 1, 2016

That Lipstick Makes you look like a Slut

I remember once trying on a shade of my mother's lipstick.  It was called "Twig."  I put it on in front of the mirror one morning with my mother while we were getting ready for school.  She looked at me and her whole demeanor changed.  She snapped, "That's too dark for you.  It makes you look like a slut."  I was ashamed and wiped it off.

My mother soon decided that was her favorite color of lipstick, and even ordered several more just like it from AVON.  I never could understand what was wrong with me.  She said, "You don't want to go to school looking like a trollop."  Obviously as a teen girl I was trying to find out what DID look good on me.  I realize now that she was jealous.  That lipstick made me look older and quite attractive.

As I read more about Narcissistic mothers I am able to recall specific instances that I held onto and finally make some sense out of the fog I was kept in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment