Friday, April 1, 2016

All About Her

When I had my first child, my mother insisted on coming over to see me the day I got out of the hospital.  I was on two painkillers and had 15 stitches.  I was very sore and extremely tired.

I had barely gotten home and settled into bed with the baby when she came over, loudly banging as hard as she could on the door.  My husband had stepped outside to tend to our outdoor stove so she just stood there banging on the door as hard as she could to get my attention.

I let her in and she requested that I get the baby from his bed so she could hold him.  Then she asked me to get up again and get her camera out of her bag and take a few pictures of her with him.  I was in pain, obviously uncomfortable and upset at how insensitive she was being, but she didn't seem to notice.  Seeing her hold my new baby son did not make me feel at all happy.  Instead I felt an intense urge of protectiveness come over me.  I wanted to snatch him back from her, run to my room and lock the door.  

She had called asking if I needed anything from the store because she was coming to see me.  I did in fact need a specific type of sanitary pad and asked if she could get them.  She agreed.  When she gave them to me though, I discovered that she had purchased the cheapest brand she could find that were not at all what I said I needed!  My mother gave birth 5 times; of course she knew what I needed!

Even my first child was all about her and how she was a grandmother.
He wasn't even "my baby" to her.  She kept saying that he was "her grandchild" like she owned him.  


No comments:

Post a Comment